Search Sugar Bean Bakers

Sunday, December 9, 2012

{ Photography Tutorial: Starburst Christmas Lights }




This is a non-baking post, but it is Christmas related.

I'm just posting a quick tutorial for those of you who were interested in the Christmas Tree pic I posted the other day on my Facebook Page.

First, let me say, I'm sorry for the web compression :( but,  I don't upload full resolution photos to the web). the full res photos are very clear.

This tutorial will show you how to get the starburst or twinkle light effect on you tree photos.

You'll need 3 things: A DSLR camera, a Tri-pod, and at least a bit of knowledge about your camera.

You will need to set your camera to manual for these shots, know how to change the ISO, Shutter Speed, and F/Stop (aperture). If you are unsure how to do these things, consult your camera manual, or my good friend can help you out. His name is Google.

Once you camera is on the tripod, set up your shot and focus. Turn all lights off in the room except the tree.

You will use a high f/stop

You will use a low ISO

You will use a long shutter speed

If you have a steady hand, you can press the shutter and carefully move your hand away, or you can set your timer.

 For my final photos I used these settings (though you may have to mess with them a bit depending on your camera):

100ISO, f/22, 30 second exposure

Here are some of my other shots

bit of camera shake here too! Should have used the timer!

Luna wanted in the photo


And the final products:




If you want people in the photo, this too is possible, but they will need to sit VERY VERY still for entire time the shutter is open.

I will try to snap one of those soon.

In the meantime, I hope you find this helpful!!

I'd love to see your photos, post them to my Facebook wall!

Happy Christmas, Tina

7 comments:

  1. Oh baby! I'm going to go try this right now!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks awesome :) thanks for this tut, now I don´t have a DSLR camera only point and shoot but I do have a lot of things I can changes on that camera. It´s Canon PowerShot SD790 IS - do you know that one? - I can change the ISO but not sure about the f/stop :(
    thanks again for the tut though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tora, I'm not familiar with that camera.

      here is some info I found though:
      http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090530120459AAEvuqc

      Delete
  3. really nice. now, i need to find a tripod.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for taking the time to do this Tina!

    ReplyDelete

www.sugarbeanbakers.com

...because life should be sweet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...